Being a vibrant mission is not just about caring for the homeless in our city, it's about serving our friends who support our ministry. One of the ways we do this is by sharing the wonderful things that are happening in our shelters to encourage and prepare our clients for re-entering society, with obtainable goals for self-sufficiency.
As you read the blogs written by our staff and guest bloggers, your heart will be touched by the stories about life in the shelters and the experiences of the men, women and children living in them. You will find ways to connect that meet your charitable ideals and many opportunities to deepen your involvement with Star of Hope Mission.
There are so many ways you can help the homeless in our community! Here’s a list of some things you may consider doing between now and Christmas.
- Organize a drive for Christmas Gifts. Items are needed by December 10.
- Donate online to provide Christmas Gifts. Visit Star of Hope’s Christmas Gift Catalog.
- Create We Care Houston Packages and give them to homeless men and women you see on the streets.
- Give $10 by texting “SOH” to 20222. Encourage your friends to do it too!
- Provide warm and nutritious meals for only $1.63 each.
- Volunteer to serve a meal at one of Star of Hope’s facilities. We serve 3 meals a day, 365 days a year.
- Host a drive and a contest...Pillow Fight: Who can gather the most new pillows and pillow cases?
- TP the Mission: What?... Host a drive for toilet paper.
- Use your professional skills to help the homeless.
- Undies for Change: We always need NEW socks and underwear for men and women.
- Pray for our homeless veterans who are living on the streets.
- Provide a day of care… food, clothing, shelter and more.
- Home and Dry: Collect new linens and blankets for twin beds. Make Star of Hope feel more like home.
- Tell your friends why you care for the homeless and why you support Star of Hope.
- Pray with and for homeless children who are praying for a home.
- Pray for the men and women at Star of Hope who are on the road to recovery and a new life.
- Could you commit to working one shift a week? Become a High Impact Volunteer.
- Share your support for Star of Hope on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. We appreciate it!
- Like working with kids? You and your group can host a children’s activity at Star of Hope.
- A volunteer opportunity for the whole family… Cookies and Good Night.
- The donated clothing we receive needs to be sorted. Come serve in our Storehouse.
- We answer a lot of phone calls! Volunteer in our Call Center.
- Looking for a last minute Christmas Gift. Help the homeless and send your friends Christmas eCards.
- Get Up and Go: Host a drive for job-interview-worthy women’s clothing size 22 and up.
- It’s not too late to give a year-end gift. Donate online and help Houston’s homeless.